Monday, July 26, 2010

A week in DC


Last week I went to visit my sister and her family in DC. (well technically in Sterling, VA...but it's close enough to DC) I went up to help take care of my niece while her usual caregiver was on vacation. After being attacked by a skunk while taking the trash out the first night, we went to a few physical therapies and I had the honor of taking Cailyn to the pediatrician to watch her get diagnosed with strep throat. They decided instead of adding more medication to her already extensive daily routine, they would just give her a shot to help with the strep. This was my first time being alone with her for shots. She was a trooper, I on the other hand, almost passed out. We waited at the doctor's office to be sure she didn't have a reaction and then we loaded up the big red mini van and headed home. A few days later, she seems to be feeling a bit better.

I have been visiting DC for many years now and even on trips where I don't actually go into the city, it's still a great place to be.
Every trip, no matter what, the first stop I must make is to Baja Fresh...the greatest fast food Mexican food not served in Tampa. (honestly, I'm not sure I would love it as much if I had access to it everyday, but it is always yummy on short visits)

Beyond Baja, a few of my most favorite places in DC include (but are not limited to):
  • Buffalo Billiards: A fun bar/pool hall conveniently located below a Baja Fresh in Dupont Circle. Site of many great evenings meeting up with old and new friends.
  • Adams Morgan: section of town with great bars and great brunch places :)
  • The Iwo Jima Memorial: across the Potomac River. A great memorial in itself but also has great views of the other monuments.
  • The National 4H Center in Chevy Chase, MD: Home of NYLC conference events and location of our housing during conferences. The summer of 2003 was the most time I spent there with people who have become my life long friends. Granted the bunk beds and floral wall paper are not much to look at, the free Fro-Yo flowing at all times of the day can't be beat!
  • The National Mall: borrowing a sheet from the 4H center and laying out on the grass of the mall is always a fun past time while in Conference. When not expected to "post," The Mall is great for various fundraising events and festivals. The National Epilepsy Walk, The Cherry Blossom Festival, the Kite Festival and many more!
  • Great Falls: Just off the GeorgeTown Pike, Great Falls is a spectacular view of the rapids and falls in the Potomac River between Virginia and Maryland.
  • The White House lawn Christmas Trees: Each year they have one BIG tree and then 50 smaller trees around the Eclipse representing each of the 50 states. Always a great place to walk around in the chilly weather to get in the Holiday spirit.
  • 1622 Q Street: The former home of some of my favorite people in DC. The Ringa home was key to many fun nights out in DC and even more fantastic meals. Now that they have moved to Chicago, I am sure their new home will be amazing as well.
I really do love DC. Granted I have not explored the entire city, nor have I been there long enough on any trip to get sick of it but I can truly say, I love DC.

No comments: