Tuesday, August 23, 2011

That is one way to roll out the Welcome Wagon...


Today, a 5.8 magnitude Earthquake hit Virginia. Yesterday, I moved to Virginia. It has been a very interesting past 48 hours.
Well... really an interesting past 168 hours but I'll get to that later...

Today, I went to HR to fill out all of my hiring paperwork for my new job. While sitting in the office the building began to shake.
"What happened was just this.
The wind began to switch - the house to pitch and suddenly
the hinges started to unhitch." -Wizard of Oz
It really felt like we were on the top floor of a parking garage for about 2 minutes straight. After we all figured out what was going on, we evaluated and stood in the parking lot for a while. All cell phones were jammed and people were making plans on how to get home, when one woman got through on her phone to her son in Montana who said he news reports were telling him the Pentagon was evacuating. Another woman got through to the fire department that told us it was okay to go back in the building and that is what we did. We went back in, finished up my paperwork and I began my hour and a half drive home. I'm not really sure if that was too much worse then it would be on a regular day, but I do know that being 2:00 in the afternoon with that much traffic heading out of the city was a big deal.

Overall, not much damage was done. The tops of the National Cathedral were damaged and some structural damage to some of the much older builds have been reported. It has been one of the most talked about events of the day on both Facebook and Twitter and one report I read said there was more talk on social networks today then combined on both the days when the Earthquake hit Japan and Bin Laden was killed.
It sure is an interesting way to begin in my new living location.

No comments: