Friday, February 22, 2013

Mumford and Sons

I have been to honestly more concerts than I can remember and THIS goes down in the books as my #2 favorite concert of all times. #1 was Jack Johnson in Switzerland but this one was AMAZING!










They opened with Babel and continued on with an even split of old and new. They played Awake My Soul and I Will Wait and Little Lion Man and finished with The Cave. Every time we thought it was THE BEST SONG EVER, they played something else that was EVEN BETTER! Marcus Mumford is truly amazing. Not only a great front man but he plays multiple instruments, like rocking the drums in Dust Bowl Dance and Lover of the Light. Coming off from their big Grammy win for Best Album, Mumford and Sons sure knows how to put on a good show. They did most of the encore from a small stage in the back of the crowd completely unplugged. And then they brought back out their opener, Ben Howard, for a great big jam with my new favorite instrument...the standing drum. It was awesome!
Who needs a Valentine when you have Mumford and friends like these?
Can you pick out who is who? 

We had a hell of a time trying to get tickets when they went on sale in November. The first show sold out in 8 minutes, thank God they opened another show and with the help of our savior Elyse we got tickets! We saw them in Fairfax at the Patriot Center which is on the campus of George Mason University. The arena was small in comparison to other venues, which made it perfect. What surprised us though was that on a campus full of people who actually attend that school.... NO ONE KNEW how to get from the parking garage to the Patriot Center. Seriously, we asked at least 5 people, everyone looked at us like we were the crazy ones. Now, I know GMU is not UF but seriously, everyone in the entire city of Gainesville knows how to get to the Odome. We finally found one young man who seemed to be as high as a kite and was kind enough to walk us "down the steps, over to the pond, through the woods" and to the Patriot Center. It was quite an experience. On the way back to the car we just tried to remember the landmarks...like Mr. George Mason himself.


This was an awesome show and I highly recommend everyone going as far out of their way as needed anytime Mumford is playing live anywhere. I think the only way this could have been a better show would be if I had seen them at Red Rocks. Seriously...my new life goal!