Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Get Fit Challenge


Ok so check this out : I won!! For my gym!!! $250!!! The grand prize, however, is corporate wide.... And I'm 4th. BUT there is an "investigation" because the dude that won lost 108 lbs in 3 months????? I don't think they even loose that much with Jillian in the show. So we have to wait to see what happens with that....

I've been training at my gym for a little over a year now. Beginning in February, I started being much more serious about it. My gym started a "Get Fit Challenge," much like the Biggest Loser. I wasn't going to do it but my trainer and trainer friends talked me into it. Over the next few months I gave up coke, stopped drinking beer, gave up bread and most other carbs and started training twice a day. It was a lot of work but, I'd say it paid off...I lost 10.59% of my weight and even though I did not win the whole thing...its still pretty damn good. Now that the contest is over, I have every intention on continuing to train, staying off the coke and moderating my beer and pizza intake. I need to pick a new challenge or event or something but that will come soon.

I had to write an essay for the contest...so I decided to add it here. It's my success story.

When I first heard about the Get Fit Challenge, I was really hesitant to enter. I didn't think I had what it took to lose enough weight.  As registration day came closer, and the hype around the Challenge increased, my trainer, Arien helped me see that I had nothing to lose but pounds. If I entered and won, great! If I entered and didn't win, I still lose weight. With that in mind, I decided it was a win/win situation.

My outlook changed as I worked with Arien. He showed me that I could run faster and work harder than I ever had before. When he pulled out the agility ladder and had me running shuttles through the aisles of the gym, I thought he was crazy! He pushed me through the times when I wanted to curse and give up.

Arien also taught me that exercising was just half of the equation. He helped create a specific diet plan and made sure I stayed on track. He introduced me to nutritional supplements and vitamins that were right for me. He motivated me to stay focused and make good choices. He even texted me encouragement. In addition, on my non-training days, he emailed me training programs and checked in to make sure I accomplished my workouts.

Throughout the competition, I have seen changes in my body. At first, I didn't think much of how my shirts fit better or how my arms were less jiggly. But, when I started getting compliments from other XSport trainers and even other clients, I realized I was making good progress. I have a newfound knowledge of healthy nutritional choices. My strength and cardio ability have also increased significantly. I am now wearing pant sizes smaller than I ever have before. Before the Challenge, I was resigned to dealing with my ‘Freshman Fifteen’ (and then some). Now, I know I can manage my weight in a healthy, realistic way.

My mindset has totally changed.  I no longer look at going to the gym or being active as an obligation. I now see it as a desire and a rush. I have always heard of the “Runner’s High”. Now, I have experienced it and I want more! My overall health and energy levels have changed as well.  As a teacher, my immune system has always been compromised. Add to that the incredible stress levels of working with children with special needs children as well as their parents and my stress level is through the roof. I've realized that being in shape and having a healthy diet has helped my overall well-being. I have an outlet for the tension and strain of my day-to-day life.

Regardless of the end result of the Challenge, I am really thankful I participated. I have gained strength, fitness, an insight into good nutrition, and a much more positive self-image. With a lot of work, determination, and help from Arien and the team at XSport, I have learned that anything is possible.


I don't have any pictures from the beginning of Feb. but I figure August is a pretty good shot for the "before" picture. 
August 2012
     
May 2013




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing Lupo!! So proud of you!