Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Thai trekking

I'm sure I will need to revise this post when I get back home but for now here is a quick summary of the past few days.


We went to Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand and did a two day trek.it started with our group picking us up at our hotel... It was me, Erin and 4 Germans. I was super excited that they were German, as I have a better chance at being able to understand and talk with them...
The trek continued with a stop at the local market where our guide (Don... The coolest old Thai guy you've ever met) showed us what they have at the market and bought what we would need to eat for the next two days. 
After the market we drove up to the elephant camp and ride the elephants. We named ours' Pablo, Pablo the pooping pachyderm! (You can guess why he got that name). 
Then we went rafting. Picture Huck Finn and Captain Jack Sparrow combined. 

Note: Most of my pictures are on my real camera so an update to this post will be needed when I get home. 

After the rafting started the hiking. Up the mountain into the jungle to the small village of refugees from Burma where we would spend the night. The hike was about 3 hours and it was HOT. but it was really pretty (again, pics coming soon)  

The village was awesome. Bamboo huts. No electricity. The villagers did a show for us around the camp fire. More stars than I've seen in a long long time. 
Only complaint... Apparently it was a holiday for the villagers so after our show ended around midnight their celebrations continued with drums and dancing until at least 4 am!!! Woah. We did not get much sleep. 
In the morning we hiked back out of the jungle and went to a temple cave. (No pics from the cave on my phone)
After the cave we stopped at the butterfly and orchid farm. 
Then we went back to our hotels for the BEST AND MOST NEEDED shower ever!!

Overall.,.,It was a very cool Thai-adventure. 

* I will update this post when I get home *

No comments: