Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Story...

When Ryan and I started planning for Spring Break we had several options on the table including: Iceland or Hawaii or camping around California. Through several conversations back and forth we decided on camping in Big Sur (one of the most beautiful places on earth)

We stayed at the Big Sur Campground. We got an amazing campsite right next to the river. It was awesome!



Monday morning we set out to drive the coastal highway, see the amazing views and do a few little hikes. Along the way we pulled off the road at a scenic overlook. As we got back in the car, the other car parked next to us was having trouble starting. The college aged kids who came out of that car had no idea how to fix it and had no clue what to do with no cellphone service. Cell phone service in Big Sur is completely none existent. So Ryan and I offered them a ride back to the closest lodging where they could call AAA from a landline. A few miles back, we had passed The Deetjen's Big Sur Inn. 


When we dropped them off, we drove through the parking lot of the Inn and drove past a beautiful little waterfall and creek. It was a beautiful secluded spot. Super picturesque. It could have been the backdrop for a Disney movie. Ryan brought his big fancy camera on the trip and we had wanted to take some photos of us that are not selfies. But he said the lighting in the morning was not going to be the best  so we took note of where this pretty spot was and went on with our day 
We drove down the coast all day. We went to Mccoy waterfall at Julia Pfeiffer state Park. We hiked around and had a super awesome day.

*photo credit goes to Ryan Paine
On the way back to our campsite we pulled back into the Deetjen's Big Sur Inn and took out the tripod.  We hiked into the spot with the creek and Ryan set up to take our portrait. However, unbeknownst to me he was actually setting the camera up for video instead. (So yes, there is video of the proposal. There is no sound and the first few minutes is me standing awkwardly posing and cheesing with no idea it was on video.)

Most people who know me, know that I am not the super girly type. I have not been planning this moment for my entire life, I do not have a master binder filled with wedding ideas, I am not that girl. However, a few years ago when I was traveling with my brother and family, and we stayed in Big Sur I had a split second thought of "Wow, getting married in Big Sur would be really awesome!" The only time ever I have had that thought. I shared this thought with Ryan a few months back and it turns out That is when he decided we had to go to Big Sur for him to ask me to marry him. And it was Really Awesome!

After I said YES! We drove to The Big Sur Lodge that has a very nice restaurant and WiFi. We had lunch and I had enough cellphone time to call my mom and then we went back to being radio silent and enjoying nature. When we got back to camp he pulled out a bottle of champagne he had hidden in the back of the car. We had a toast and then celebrated with a gourmet camp steak dinner and of course s'mores.

















I have been asked for close up pictures of the ring. He did good!  He enlisted the help of my best friend, Katie. (good move) It is a sapphire wrapped in a celtic knot. My birthstone wrapped with his heritage. 












Ryan pointed out; had we not stopped to help the people with the broken down car that morning, we would have never stopped at the Inn and we would not have found such a PERFECT place to start our life together. Doing good deeds leads to good things!


I can't wait to share my life with this guy!








No comments: