Sunday, June 27, 2010

Machu Picchu!!!

We woke up at 3:30AM and started our final stretch.

We packed up our stuff and the Porters headed off to "meet the train." (we'll come back to why that is in quotes later)

We packed up and started the most exciting day of the trip. We had a quick breakfast and hiked for about 10 minutes. Then we got in line. We stood/sat/slept in line for about 45 minutes to wait for the final check point to open. (I guess I should go back and explain that along the way there were 3 or 4 checkpoints we had to go through, almost like checking in at Customs. They only allow a set number of people on the trail each day and to be sure that no "un-authorized" people have wondered through the jungle, over the mountains and onto the trail, they check our tickets and passports throughout the way)

At 5:00 AM the check point opened and we were on our off! This was the only time it really went single file. Our group got in line after the Brits and before the group from Land O' Lakes. We hiked for about an hour like this until we made it to the SUN GATE!
We were very excited to get to see the first glimpses of Machu Picchu. Even with the bit of cloud cover it was still awesome! We took a family picture here. Throughout the time we had all helped each other a lot, offering laughs and encouragement to help everybody keep going and of course, we all got really good at helping take each others' pictures. As we got closer we got more views of the sacred city.













Along the trail to the ruins, we came across the Llama table. This is where the guides told us they think the Incas would sacrifice llamas.
I don't really know why they sacrificed them but it kinda reminded me of the table in The Chronicles of Narnia where they killed the lion.
This is also where we learned fun facts about llamas. Such as; llamas like to return to the same spot each day to poop. We kept seeing LARGE piles of llama poop and figured they just make big poops, but no we were corrected...

We continued along the trail and finally MADE IT!!! We spent about two hours with our guide learning about the history of Machu Picchu and admiring the view. One interesting thing I remember is that no where in the ruins, in any of the time since it was discovered, have they been able to find where/how the people of the city went to the bathroom. (Apparently we were fascinated with potty facts that day... but really, who isn't?) So from this fact it can be seriously questioned if people ever really did live here for if they left before it was complete.

After our guide taught us about the rollers they used to move the stones and how the Sun Temple is aligned perfectly to light up on the Winter Solstice on June 21st (we were about 3 days too early) we were able to wander around on our own and enjoy the amazing place.



Of course I took a LOT of pictures so here is a little photo montage: for more please email me at danielle.lupo@gmail.com and I'll send you the snapfish links.



As we walked around we were visited by llamas! We asked our guide how they got all the way up here since we had not seen them along the trail, days one and two we saw several mules and cows but never any llamas. His response was, "They are here for decoration." Which I take to mean, "Stupid tourists like llamas and so we put them here for you to take pictures of." So, of course we did take pictures of them!

Then, I took some time to just sit and take it all in. You know how in movies they have the soundtrack playing in the background and sometimes, they pick the perfect song that just fits the moment... I think my soundtrack song for this moment was One Sweet World, by The Dave Matthews Band. I didn't think to get my ipod out but...it was certainly a Dave kind of feeling.



Like I said, I took a ton of pictures!

4 days, 3 nights, 2 blisters, a million pictures and 11 new friends!
All in all it was an amazing experience, I'm glad I did it!

1 comment:

Lucho said...

there's only one way to describe the resume you made of our Whole adventure "AWESOME!!" I really appreciated and enjoyed every word of it. It had been great sharing the trip with all and each of you.
We really enjoyed every minute and hope someday we could share any new experience.
Keep enjoying life...
Luciano.